Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – Review & Summary Part 2
In the previous post, we outlined Napoleon Hill’s first 6 concepts he developed in observing the 500 most successful people of his time. As a reminder, they are:
- Specialized Knowledge
- Organized Planning
Now we’ll explore the remaining 7 concepts from Think and Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill.
7. Decision: The Mastery of Procrastination. Decision making, as Hill describes it, is the action of making a decision. According to Hill, this is achieved by having no outs or other option in one’s mind but the chosen singular path towards the desired goal. Eliminating procrastination and negative emotions are two additional steps Napoleon Hill references to improve decision making.
8. Persistence: The Sustained Effort Necessary to Induce Faith. Persistence is the eighth guiding principle by which one sticks with their chosen path despite distraction and failures. Lack of success is not always a hallmark of a chosen path and momentum is required to reach the end goal. This momentum comes through sticking by failures more often than not.
9. Power of the Master Mind: The Driving Force. This is one of Hill’s most important concepts and tools. It’s still recognized as a most exceptional one. The key idea is, two or more minds make a third more powerful mind. The solutions and creative power of more than one person has a supernatural seeming ability to create beyond one’s wildest imagination. He uses this principles as a sort of meditation in which he creates a space in his mind to meet with others that he admires who help him to uncover what the next best choices for him are to be. In this he calls to use those whom he admires whether past or present to advise him of challenging matters.
10. The Mystery of Sex Transmutation. Sex transmutation is the ability to take one’s sexual impulses and to convert them to use in the chief aim of manifesting one’s desired goal. Napoleon Hill’s time was very much a male-dominated society, so that is primarily the point of view his book is written from. In this context, this concept actually makes a lot of sense. Hill references the amount of creativity, imagination, effort, mental focus and so on, that men put into sex. Redirecting those significant efforts towards one’s own success is a powerful means of achieving goals.
11. The Subconscious Mind: The Connecting Link. The Sub-Conscious Mind is the part of our awareness that is always monitoring and recording information. This data comes by way of the senses and both provides our lives with the pleasures of being alive and protects us from danger. We can train ourselves through what we input into our subconscious mind to reach our goal more effectively or more rapidly.
12. The Brain: A Broadcasting and Receiving Station for Thought. The Brain is twelfth step towards riches. Each person’s brain, when properly attuned, can pick up frequencies emitted by others in force of vibration of thought. The brain can be” stepped-up” to be more receptive to a higher rate of vibration. Positive and negatives emotions regulate this part of our consciousness and the brain is the transmitter and receiver.
13. The Sixth Sense: The Door to the Temple of Wisdom. Hill’s final principle is the Sixth Sense, which he also called “The door to the temple of wisdom.” Once one has mastered the first twelve principles then this principle can be used. The idea behind this one is that a person can connect fully with greater intelligence. This can be defined in whatever way one wants to define it. Examples are: God, Allah, human consciousness, the planet and nature and many other ways people conceive on this stream of connectedness.
While not the only book, this will easily be a favored book by most who read and reread it. The information enclosed within these covers is dense and laden with pertinent examples of how to create exceptional wealth. Numerous success, business, finance and self-help books have been written based on this book and by using what’s contained within its pages. An entire industry was created for business owners and forward seeking people that continues to expand by the year. To offer a personal example, I recommended this book to a friend who owns a Portland, OR tree care and removal service. He shared with me that after reading Think & Grow Rich and applying its concepts, he experienced improvements in his business and his personal life. Following Hill’s concepts of goal setting, harnessing and increasing desire, having faith in himself and taking concrete actions towards his success impacted multiple areas of his life.
Be sure to reference the previous post, Think & Grow Rich by Napoleon Hill – Review & Summary Part 1, for the link to a free, downloadable PDF of the book.